skip to primary navigationskip to content

Approval to Travel and Assessment of Risk

The University of Cambridge requires that all travel and working away is risk assessed. 

For short-term, low risk activities (e.g. attending conferences) a generic risk assessment has been prepared for you to use here. You should sign and date that you have read and understood this prior to travelling and it should be countersigned by your Supervisor / Line Manager. To allow us to periodically review this document and ensure that it is up to date, a master copy will be held by your Divisional (or local) Administrator.

For higher risk activities (e.g. staying in remote areas, visiting developing countries, using laboratory facilities etc.) you should complete your own risk assessment and send this to for review and comment before obtaining any authorising signatures.

If you are likely undertake certain higher risk sporting and outdoor activities (e.g. skiing, mountain biking, climbing etc.) during your trip, University policy also asks that these are risk assessed prior to travel. This is a requirement for University insurance cover to be valid, however it does not mean that these activities are covered by the University insurance policy (refer to exclusions above). Individuals should therefore decide if they wish to take out their own insurance cover in this regard.

For all longer term working away (more than two weeks) individuals should use the standard risk assessment form provided here.

Safety Office Contact Details





Inglis Building

Main Site

Trumpington Street

Cambridge CB2 1PZ


Gary Steele

Department Safety Officer

Tel: 01223 (3)32740


Steve Wickens

Department Safety Coordinator

Tel: 01223 (7)61455


Matt Greenhalgh

Department Fire Officer

Tel: 01223 (3)32765