skip to content

Department of Engineering Health & Safety


If you are planning to travel outside the UK while the situation regarding Brexit remains undetermined, please refer to the latest University Guidance, Brexit: Analysis and FAQs.

Working away from Cambridge means, in this context, “any activity undertaken in connection with the business of the University in locations other than those which are the usual domain of the work”.

 As a minimum standard you should:

• do a risk assessment or check that there is an existing valid one

• revise the risk assessment if necessary

• check out insurance arrangements

• make sure emergency arrangements are in place

The risk assessment required for routine types of work, such as attending other universities or conferences, can be generic and simple. You can create and submit a Low Risk Travel Risk Assessment Form here or complete and submit a paper version (see below) and send this to the Safety Office (

Staff – Low Risk Travel Form                      Student – Low Risk Travel Form

For longer term working away or for medium risk activities (e.g. staying in remote areas, visiting developing countries, using laboratory facilities etc.) you should complete your own risk assessment using the Medium Risk Assessment Form (Standard) below and send this to the Safety Office ( for review prior to obtaining any authorising signatures.

Staff – Medium Risk Travel Form                  Student – Medium Risk Travel Form

For high risk activities please consult the Safety Office at the earliest opportunity to discuss your travel and working away requirements.

Please note that University Travel Insurance cover, if required, must be applied for separately prior to travel.

Travel and Working Away Flow Chart 3.4.18

Further Information and Guidance

Further University guidance can be obtained as follows:

Guidance for Travel Fieldwork and Work Away from Cambridge

Travel at Work

Safety Office Contact Details



Inglis Building

Trumpington Street

Cambridge CB2 1PZ


Gary Steele

Department Safety Officer (DSO)

Departmental Fire Safety Manager (DFSM)

Tel: 01223 (3)32740


Steve Wickens

Department Safety Coordinator

Tel: 01223 (7)61455